20 Electronic gadgets you should reconsider before purchasing
Electronic toys are something that you can never say you have the latest. As soon as you buy one, something better, faster and cheaper becomes available the next day. Being a gadget lover myself, I always have the urge to get the newest toy in the market and how hard it is to control that.
Technology is progressing so fast these days that the gadgets we bought a couple of years back are mostly piece of junk. Don’t you think?
That’s why I created a list of 20 items (broadly speaking) that you should reconsider before making a decision to buy. I have skipped all the small items like Photo Frames, Software, Games etc. and I am not suggesting any specific brands. Whatever best deals you get and whichever manufacturer you like, buy those items.
Having said that, check out the list of 20 gadgets/electronics that you should reconsider before buying anytime soon:
Should Buy these:
- Android Tablet or iPad: You won’t believe how tablets are slowly replacing laptops. Laptop prices are dropping drastically. Android based tablets range from $200-600 in general. So keep an eye on it. (Make sure to grab one with Android 4.0 Ice cream Sandwich on it.) If you are an Apple fan, then you would need $499 for an iPad 2.
Look at the below image, I have connected my Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse to my Acer ICONIA Tab A500 and sometimes use it as Laptop as well when I have to type faster.
- Smartphone: That’s a no brainer. Everyone should have one smartphone on their wish list. For Apple fans there is not going to be any deal, but if you have Android phone on your list, then there is a wide variety to choose from. Check out the recent devices like HTC One X, One S and Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket etc. Keep an eye on Amazon, Wal-Mart and RadioShack, they seem to have best deals on phones most of the times.
- Google TV/Boxee/Roku or Apple TV: Box TV’s are the newest trend these days. You can browse on your TV from your couch. See if you can grab Logitech Revue (List Price $99), Boxee TV (List Price $149) or Roku TV (Starts at $99) sets. But if you have iPhone and iPad consider buying Apple TV ($99) instead.
Personally I am sorry to say, but I am not a great fan of Google TV so far. I will recommend you to Roku or Boxee instead.
- Desktop Computer: Though some may differ on the usefulness of Desktop computers now a day. But I think there is always a reason to have at least one Desktop Computer in the house. If you have one, then cross it off the list, and if you don’t, then put it on your wish list.
- LED, LCD or 3D HDTV: Whatever size TV can fit in your room without putting a hole in your pocket, makes up to anyone’s wish list. You can probably get most of the value of Item 3 above if you get a TV with apps on it – like LG, Vizio and Samsung. Netflix, Pandora and other apps are available on TV itself, so you don’t need anything else for these basic needs. Try to get a LED TV instead of LCD.
- Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) or Microsoft XBox: Even if you don’t have kids in your house, you may want to put either a PS3 Bundle or an XBox with Kinect on your wish list. Really high-definition graphics games, Netflix, Pandora and other cool things you can do with these.
- Digital SLR Camera: Even if you are not a professional photographer. You still need to get one Digital SLR camera. The photos captured with these cameras are really high quality. You can also record hi-def videos with these SLR cameras. Look for a deal on these cameras..good ones so far I have found are at Costco.
- Home Theater System: If you really want to feel like theater while watching movies and playing games, you need to have a Home Theater System. Pioneer, Bose, Onkyo and Yamaha are all known brands for making reliable good quality Home Theater system. Get one in your budget because they can range anywhere from $200 to whatever your budget allows.
My advice to you would be to stay away from those ‘Home Theater Systems in a Box’. They are just DVD players with 5 speakers and will not give you the real Home Theater experience you want.
- Projector: If you have an entertainment center in your basement, then a projector will complement the set-up. Full wall display along with Home theater system makes a perfect Home Entertainment money can set up in your basement. Make sure to get one that support HDMI. Don’t go for a very costly one either. Replacing bulb in these costly ones cost you a fortune. So spend wisely.
- Bluetooth Car Speaker System: Spend some money for your safety while driving. Get a Bluetooth Car phone adapter so that when you want to talk while driving, you don’t get your eyes off the road. Most of the new cars now come pre-equipped with this technology, so check your car manual and see if there is one in yours too.
- All in one Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Generally I wouldn’t suggest to buy a printer. But we still need to print something once in a while. So look for deals on All-in-one Printers. It is also a good idea to spend some extra money to get a laser printer instead of inkjet printers. Initial cost of Laser printers is a little high but Inkjet printers don’t last very long. In the cost of replacement cartridges you can probably buy a new printer.
Forget these now:
- DVD Players/Portable DVD Player: Not sure with all the above devices if there is still a need to have a DVD player. I don’t have a DVD player, because my PS3 (or XBox) replaces the need to have a standalone DVD player. I would not put a DVD player on my wish list for the same reason, no matter how cheap, with/without Blu-ray.
Regarding Portable DVD player, if you already got a tablet or a smartphone, do your kids still need a portable player? Ask yourself.
- Laptop: Like I said earlier, the future of Laptops is not very bright. After getting a tablet and a Desktop computer, I don’t think I need to spend money on a laptop. One other reason I prefer to have a desktop+tablet combination is because Desktops can be configured/upgraded easily after couple of years use. Whereas laptops just become so obsolete after 2 years that it is probably better to buy a new one in the same price range.
I prefer to have a Dual Monitor Desktop setup for my hardcore work and tablet for all other mobile work. (Shown below)
- Point and Shoot Camera: One advantage of owning a smartphone is that you no longer need to worry about Point and shoot cameras. Almost all smartphone now a day comes with at least 5MP to 8MP hi-def camera capable of recording up to 1080p videos as well. Why should I carry another piece in my pocket and spend money on it?
- Camcorder: Same logic as camera.
- Digital Clock/Photo Frames: I never understood the usefulness of these items. So unless, they are coming as a package with something else, they are not on my list. Tablet on my desk works as a photo frame and my Atrix on a media dock works as a digital clock. Other than that, I don’t see a need to have them.
- mp3 Player/iPod Touch: In general you don’t need one if you have a smartphone. But you may still want to buy one if you have teenager kids in your house. Consider Apple iPod Touch, if you have to.
- PSP/Nintendo: Same thing applies to this item too. If you are getting a really good deal, then go for it. Else ditch these items for now. Kids are also migrating to Tablets and Smartphone.
- GPS Navigator: Standalone navigation systems (GPS) are history now. Unless you are a really old school types or don’t have an Android phone, there is no need to have a GPS unit these days.
“Advantage of Android phone is that you get FREE GPS with it.”
- Blank Media (CD/DVD, USB drives, External HDD etc.): There is always a need for blank media. So keep an eye on the deals for these, specially External HDD deals. You can definitely ditch USB Pen drives, because Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive and other online services have just quietly replaced them.
Essentially if you noticed carefully, the entire FORGET THEM NOW list is based on the fact that you own a Smartphone and/or a tablet.
What else do you have on your shopping list? Let me know in comments what else is on your wish list.
Read before buying at Cyber Monday: 20 Gadgets you should (or not) buy on this Thanksgiving! #knowliz http://t.co/2CEcsb7J
http://t.co/lD9tz87U (Knowliz- 20 Gadgets you should (or not) buy on this Thanksgiving!)
20 Gadgets you should (or not) buy on this Thanksgiving! http://t.co/1j4eMLZe
New post: 20 Gadgets you should (or not) buy on this Thanksgiving! – http://t.co/QI4sZDwM #in